Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Week 4, Thing 9: Education Feeds

In the time that I spent on the blog searching tools, I did not find it to be the most efficient way to find blogs or feeds that I would follow.  Starting with technorati, I could not figure out how to find blogs (not posts) that had to do with a topic of interest.  In the tutorial (which was translated from German), I was told that I would find a blog finding tool that would allow me search blogs by subject.  Returning to technorati, I could not find such tool.  Even in using the advanced searching tool provided I struggled finding the kind of blog that I was looking for.  This was easier in Google.  I did find some blogs that pertained to the topic I was looking for.  

To be honest, I find searching blog rolls to be much more efficient and effective.  I have a relative certainty that the blogs I find through other blogs I follow will have a similar appeal.  This is especially true if the blogger's interest in the blog is based on an interest that we have in common.  For in example, I follow The Reading Zone, a blog devoted to middle level reading.  When I have explored her blog roll, I have found many other blogs I could follow because they are devoted to the same topic or interests of the Reading Zone.  In short, what brought me to the Reading Zone, also brings me to these other blogs. In the future, I see myself spending less time using search tools and more time search blog rolls.  

3 comments:

Brandi W. said...

Louie,
That is a very good point. Most blogs with a certain topic of interest will have other blogs with similar topics. I will have to keep that in mind when I am trying to find blogs or sites that will be useful. I found some of the blog searching tools to be easier than others. Your blog looks great!

Louie said...

Thanks, Brandi! Which of the searching tools did find the easiest to use?

Louie

Lesley Farmer said...

There are enough blogs out there that you can start with ones that you've heard about rather than trying to research from scratch -- and that's more the spirit of Web 2.0