Monday, October 5, 2009

Week 6, Thing 13: Tagging and Deli.cio.us

Well...I am hooked!  I really had pull myself away from this tool so that I could write my blog and move on to another activity.  I found immediate application to how I manage my own bookmark and making them more accessible.  I have always wondered about how I bookmark, fairly blindly.  Some I keep in folders, but most I don't.  So what results is a mess of bookmarks that I will rarely use because I don't know where they are.  However, in deli.cio.us, the tagging makes it so that I can still bookmark blindly, but now I associate tags to those bookmarks, making them more accessible.  Searching by tags will help me re-discover great sites that I may have forgotten, which actually helps me reach the desired purpose of bookmarking in the first place: actually use the links in the future.

There is a definite future in social tagging.  It really puts the cataloging of material into the hands of the user.  Users can now assign meaningful tags to items and will be able to use it more effectively because the labels should make sense.  With the social nature of a tool like deli.cio.us, people will be able to share tags and bookmarks, and really work collaboratively in cataloging web material.  It may lack in a controlled vocabulary, but social tagging aids the user by providing a new form of organization that will guide them to the material they are looking for.

No comments: