Thursday, October 22, 2009

Week 8, Thing 18: Online Productivity Tools

I had heard about some of these tools, like GoogleDocs, but I had never given myself the opportunity to use them.  I can see where this would help people be more productive.  It does allow one to work and post online, making the product available wherever you are, instead of just on your home computer.  To be honest, there have been many times where I have not started something at home because I would not have access to a printer.  So I wait until I go to school and work on it there.  Zoho enables me to type in an online setting, making it available wherever I am.  I am currently using it to create my blog posting.  I like the enhanced editing features in Zoho (as opposed to blog) that will allow me to make more polished posted and then send them to my blog.  I have also started uploading some of documents to make them accessible at school as well.



With students, if we allow ourselves to take a little risk, this could really pay off.  Giving students an opportunity to finish work at home that was started at school, has always been tricky.  By using an online word processor, students can access this document on their home computer.  Teachers may be initially concerned with some dishonest completion practices, but I think it is a risk worth taking.  By showing students tools that are not only usable in school, but also in their "plugged in" existence, we have helped make our tools more applicable in their world.  This could be a gap bridger!  Just a thought...

1 comment:

Lesley Farmer said...

good point about polishing your blog using Zoho; that was a question by students