Thursday, October 22, 2009

Week 8, Thing 19: Library Thing

I am a big fan of Library Thing. I have not gotten to the point where I have been networking with other people, but I love the online catalog aspect of it.  I have started creating my catalog for my classroom library and have added a searching tool on my blog.  When this project is complete (I have about 500 books), my students will be able to search my database for books of their choosing.  I could even link it to my class website for remote access.  There are also possibilities for creating collections within my collection.  This would be a great way to recommend particular resources for topics in class or to keep up a list of "Top Titles".  As an example, here is a link to my collection for a unit on Minnesota's involvement in the Civil War (http://www.librarything.com/catalog/llauer).  I am really excited about the possibilities for it in my classroom!

No comments: